Højer Mill is one of the tallest Dutch wind mills in Northern Europe. Built in 1857, the mill was partially erected out of material from a demolished mill that stood in the town of Nørremølle south of Højer. In the time between 1975 and 1977, Højer Mill was restored with funds from "A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine Mc-Kinney Møllers Fond til almene Formaal" and opened as a museum in the summer of 1977.
Apart from the impressive interior itself, the inside of the mill features an exhibition about living conditions in the marsh along with an exhibition displaying models of the two river floodgates at the mouth of the river Vidå: Højer floodgate from 1861 and Vidå floodgate from 1982.
In addition, the mill displays a special exhibition every year on a topic from the cultural history of the area or the mill itself.
Outside the museum, a garden which was laid out in 1859 and thoroughly modified between 1900 and 1910 is featured. The garden appears like it did at the beginning of the twentieth century, complete with perennials and flower beds reflecting the gardening culture of the time.